Help Save My Marriage

• Fat Lewie
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #15015 by Fat Lewie
Help Save My Marriage was created by Fat Lewie
Trying the UMAi dry bag for the first time after much skepticism from my wife that it would work. Dropped $150 on a NY Strip from Costco...plus the cost of the UMAi bag. Followed all the directions perfectly and things seemed all good. Now 10 days into aging, opened the fridge and got a strong sour smell. Bag looks good...but the smell is not great. Not super strong...but a definite sour smell. Is this “normal” or should I start preparing for divorce? :)

Please help...and thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #15016 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Help Save My Marriage
Very sorry to read that, Lewie. You would not be the first male to have had the same SWMBO reaction to have a negative opinion from DAY1. "They" "already know" it will be a diaster and poison the family blah blah blah! Many times that same wife will have your children try to "gag" and fake vomiting to prove their MISCONCEPTION about dry aging meat at home! While UMAI Dry bags are so safe to use with GREAT success then think about the husbands with their SWMBO who dry age "commando" must drive them nuts!

BTW has your wife ever enjoyed a steak dinner at an expensive steakhouse? If so, you can BET the farm that that meat was dry aged!

Good luck, pal...
Ron

• Fat Lewie
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #15018 by Fat Lewie
Replied by Fat Lewie on topic Help Save My Marriage
Thanks, Ron. My wife is the daughter of a butcher and knows her way around a kitchen and steak very well. She is intrigued by the dry aging but we are both wondering if the sour smell is “normal” for the process. Thoughts?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #15020 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Help Save My Marriage
Sorry - I did not mean to insult your wife - I have just had experiences shared with me by others whose wifes and daughters who just "know in their minds" the meat is rotting! As meat dry ages it takes on an earthy, nutty smell and some people feel it smells like bleu cheese. Rotting smell is an entirely different smell!
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds