• Therealhunter711
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15291 by Therealhunter711
new to aging and need some advice. was created by Therealhunter711
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and let me start by saying what a great community of fellow meat lovers. I love seeing people come together for a purpose that truly benefits our taste buds!

The set up I put together is a idea from other forums and such and I attached the product links below so if anyone else wants to put this together there is everything you need.

So my big questions are, and keep in mind my set up and what I have to work with. Is 40 to 42 degrees to warm? is a humidity level of 30 to 40% too low? will a wet sponge be good enough to up the humidity? will the salt block inhibit humidity from increasing? Is there any preperation between wet aging than putting the steak in dry age, is that better to do? Is it better to hang or lay the steak on a tray when aging? Should I wash the meat before I hang it? Some of these questions I have a idea on but I'm trying to get some exact knowledge. I know this is a lot of questions but I'm just trying to get this right the first time. Any other equipment you think I should get or ideas?

So to start I bought a 115 can beverage cooler with a temp control down to 34 degrees, I modified the racks a little bit because the fan on the inside for the defrost and condensation is in a terrible place.

www.amazon.com/Insignia-115-Can-Beverage...inless/dp/B01N11EMSO
(Best Buy has a better price)

To follow I bought a salt block to fit the bottom slot almost perfect.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDRCL3A/ref...06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A humidity sensor with probe, one problem with this one is is doesn't show the probe humidity level so I just put the whole unit in the bottom.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJ1VLYU/ref...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought a small refrigerator fan for a camper fridge to circulate air, 2 D batteries last 30 days.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N5W8Q4/ref...07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meat hooks, smaller ones might be a little better but the 3 loose ones that came with this pack hang perfect.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJ876K5/ref...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last I got a metal tray, took dimensions and this one fits perfect.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INRW7GC/ref...07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15293 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic new to aging and need some advice.
Wow! What an impressive set up. Please let us know how it goes. You have made it much more complex than we recommend.

Dry aging geek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds