• AlexanderGene
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15924 by AlexanderGene
Designated Fridge - Average Temp was created by AlexanderGene
I am thinking about setting up a designated beverage fridge with a clear glass door for dry aging meat exclusively. I bought a temperature sensor to monitor the running temperature averages before starting to use it.

My question is that for a 24 hour period of time, the fridge runs @ an average of 34.2 Degrees with a High of 36.8 degrees and a low of 30.1 Degrees. Is this range acceptable or with it going below freezing for periods of time, with it have adverse effects on the meat?

Any insight, thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Buck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15925 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Designated Fridge - Average Temp
Bad idea! A beverage cooler only cools - it doesn't wick off the moisture being released as the meat dries - which can and will lead to problems ruining the meat!

We recommend ONLY using a modern, frost free refrigerator located in a living area (i.e. not a garage or a basement) which is opened and closed on a daily basis.
Ron

• AlexanderGene
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15926 by AlexanderGene
Replied by AlexanderGene on topic Designated Fridge - Average Temp
Thank you for your insight. The fridge I was considering would be actually located inside and would only have dry aging meat in it - nothing else. opening of this fridge would be extremely nominal. The model is "NewAir AB-1200 beverage cooler". The fridge is listed within the specs to have "Auto Defrost". I would also be adding an appropriate fan specifically designed for refrigerators to circulate the air with in it and would be monitoring the humidity assuring it stays with in a 75 to 80% relative humidity range.

Assuming this better explains the set up and if you feel this would be more appropriate, would you be concerned with the initial temperature range of 36.8 degrees to 30.1 degrees with the average @ 34.2 degrees?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #15927 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Designated Fridge - Average Temp
As stated in the Q&A
WHAT ARE THE TEMPERATURE REQUIREMENTS FOR DRY AGING WITH UMAI DRY® TECHNOLOGY?

Dry age at temperature between 34-38F. Typical household refrigerators and restaurant coolers are designed to protect food items like fruits, vegetables, fish and meats from spoilage without freezing them. Please make sure that your refrigerator maintains temperature between 34-38 F to ensure proper aging and prevent spoilage. Ensure that the UMAi Dry® material is in contact with the beef and there are no air pockets inside the bag.

Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds