• eknockeye
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 days 15 hours ago #16009 by eknockeye
Post dry age pellicle use was created by eknockeye
This is my first time dry aging. I am currently(35/45) dry aging a boneless ribeye, and mold has started to form on the surface of the meat. After the meat is done aging, I was planning on trimming the pellicle and using them for various purposes(burgers, etc...). With the surface starting to get covered in mold, am I going to be able to use the pellicle, or is it waste at that point? If I can still use this, what would I have to do to get rid of the mold?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
6 days 15 hours ago #16010 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Post dry age pellicle use
I sure wouldn't recommend it!
Ron

• eknockeye
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 days 14 hours ago #16011 by eknockeye
Replied by eknockeye on topic Post dry age pellicle use
Thanks for the input!

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
6 days 10 hours ago #16012 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Post dry age pellicle use
Actually I would be more concerned why you have mold on the meat at all! We recommend ONLY using a modern, frost free refrigerator located in a living area (i.e. not a garage or a basement) which is opened and closed on a daily basis.

Also was that meat purchased while still in a sealed cryovac package and not from a butcher's or grocery store display case?

Was it disclosed that the meat had been blade tenderized? BTW meat internally is actually sanitary, but once blade tenderized any surface bacteria hasten been driven inside to breed and rot the meat.

My advice is to pay particular attention to the smell of the meat when you remove it from the UMAi Dry® bag.
Ron

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds