Processors packaging question

• jefffer
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #16099 by jefffer
Processors packaging question was created by jefffer
Hi there relative newb to this although I did a 10lb strip for 60 days that turned out better than I hoped and will soon be making some dry sausage.

I assume the reason that having the cut in a processors bag is for adhesion to the dry age bag because of the stickiness of the juices? Is that accurate? Would it be possible to take get a large ribeye from say Costco that is not packaged like that and vacuum seal it after getting it home for a few days to try and recreate the "slime" goodness?
More
1 month 4 days ago #16100 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Processors packaging question
The "stickiness" is not slime, but protein which will allows the meat to adhere far better to the UMAi Dry® bag. Trying to re-create that at home is not really doable - but there's more to it than that. For instance when you buy meat from COSTCO that has already been removed from the cryovac they have then blade tenderized it - meaning any bacteria on the surface has now been driven into the meat to "breed". That meat is Ok when purchased and then frozen or consumed soon but is definitely no longer suitable for dry aging.
Also if say you buy raw beef from a butcher's display case, then you have no idea how long it has been in there, how much contact it has had with other meats in there and the basic sanitation in that display case, much less the hands going in and out of that display case!
Stick with buying sub-primals still packed in protein still sealed in cryovac!
Ron
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: jefffer
  • jefffer
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #16101 by jefffer
Replied by jefffer on topic Processors packaging question
Costco blade tenderizes their "prime" prime rib cuts? I was not aware of that, thank you. Yes I used the word slime for lack of a better word. Now I know. Thanks again.
More
1 month 4 days ago #16102 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Processors packaging question
My COSTCO sure does!
Ron
Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.876 seconds