question about vacum sealer

• costas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #1544 by costas
Replied by costas on topic question about vacum sealer
I just read your posting. We are 7h ahead of NY time.
Great that fat gets richer with aging! This is what my sense of tasting always told me! I will let you know of the results!
Thanks again for all the clarifications.

Costas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• costas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #1556 by costas
Ron,
please tell me if this idea might work to use a channel sealer with the drubagsteak bags. Suppose I cut the rough surface of a regular channel bag and I insert it in the drybag between the meat and the channel sealer entrance. Then I guess that the dry bag will not collapse since there will be the surface of the channel bag in between. Makes sense?

costas

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 7 months ago #1557 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic question about vacum sealer
Sure it works - in fact here's a 5 minute YouTube clip I made showing how to do that. You should be able to just click on it and watch it.

• costas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #1559 by costas
Haha! thanks!
question: the channel bag was just trimmed and then resealed at the edges to become again one piece? or you used the ragged part of the bag for both surfaces of the inserted part? should I increase the time of sealing since now its a double bag?

costas

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
7 years 7 months ago #1561 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic question about vacum sealer
yes I trimmed the channel bag to proper width and then sealed the edge making a sleeve - remember I stuck my hand through it near the start of that video? As for increasing the sealing time yes and most important before you do the real thing please practice on some scrap to get the hang of it.

• costas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #1590 by costas
I used the LAVA V100 with your trick (channel bag in the interior of the dry bag). The results were excellent! the vacuum I got is perfect. No way to get this with the snorkel sealer (I don't want to downgrade it; you pay what you get! the LAVA costs 2,5 time more...). I enthusiastically recommend it!
I aged the ribeye for 3 weeks. I had to throw a large part of it, and the remaining was very dry and tough. I processed it sous vide for about 12h at 131F. The result was ok, not excellent. The reason was that the meat was tasty but too dry. I gather that I should age it less? say 2 weeks? The truth is that there was not much fat in the meat. (the new cut I age now has lots of fat inside). I wonder if its best to just BBQ it over some nice charcoal...
I forgot: the part of the meat that got too dry was not very thick initially, about 8-9 cm (less than 4 inches). Is it expected to become dry if aged for 3 weeks? there is a rule about thickness?

costas

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds