I resealed my coppa after 13 days. Will it be better, worse, or the same?

• cteeps
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 5 months ago #9437 by cteeps
Hello folks,

This is my first attempt using the umai bags and I had a couple questions.

My initial seal with the dry bags was somewhat tight, but pretty loose I thought... But it seemed to be bonded. I know, I know, it's not a vacuum bag. So I just left it as is. This is it after the initial seal:

Now, after 13 days, the bond had basically all but separated, except some on the top and the bottom obviously. I didn't take a picture of it, but it just seemed too loose for it to only be 13 days in. The meat had lost around 278g of weight with a 2054g start weight.
So I cut the bag, put in a new vac mouse and resealed. It now looks like this:

It's basically super tight, like 99% bonded to the meat. I'm assuming this is a good thing right?

Basically my question is, was this pointless to do? Had the bag already done its trick after the initial bond? Did I waste a vac mouse? Or will this actually help my meat age better?

Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #9438 by Jim
Don't be surprised if in another 13 days the bag may come loose again. The initial bond helps the meat surface dry quicker and prevents some white mold from growing which happens if the bag is loose. White mold of course is not anything bad. Other than that it is designed to work even if its loose.
Here is a video of the final product as you can see the bag is completely loose at the end:

• cteeps
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 5 months ago #9439 by cteeps
Yeah I expected it start coming loose again as it loses more moisture and weight.
Do you think doing this is going to have any effect on the aging/drying process? Would the end result be pretty much the same if I had not done it?

More
2 years 5 months ago #9443 by Jim
The meat looks good. You should have great results.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds