• snave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #9659 by snave
Bark Not Forming was created by snave
This is my third attempt at drybagging.
I have a 16lbs ribeye that's been in the bag for almost two weeks. This is the first time I've used my recently purchased Foodsaver (don't recall the model#) . My old Foodsaver allowed me to do a manual vacuum, the new one doesn't
When I sealed the ribeye, the foodsaver stopped vacuuming and sealed the bag, before all the air was out.
Long story short.......The entire piece of meat appears to be aging correctly, and has developed the characteristic "bark"
with the exception of the end of the meat where the bag is sealed. The bag is not in contact with the meat there, and the end is bright red and soft, just like it would be in the cryovac it came in.
The seal is intact (I checked very closely)
Will "bark" eventually develop on the end, or am I in danger of that part of the meat spoiling?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 years 2 months ago #9660 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Bark Not Forming
First of all let's jump to your closing question...the meat WILL NOT spoil!!! as long as the whole sub-primal remains within the proper cooling range in your refrigerator!!!

Now as for the red part - that is normal and eventually will turn more brown in time, but it is unlikely to turn as dark as the rest of the bark. That does NOT mean there is anything with that part.

Now relax and anticipate some great meals ahead if you!

Ron

• snave
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #9661 by snave
Replied by snave on topic Bark Not Forming
Thanks for the reply.
Can't wait till its ready!!

Mark

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds