• redb202
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 40 minutes ago #14967 by redb202
Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum was created by redb202
First of all, hello to everyone here on the forum! This is my first time trying out the dry bags. So here's my situation.

I started on saturday (10/12/2019) with a Ribeye and a NY strip .

So today, I'm 3 days in (10/15/2019) and I decided to check on them. The ribeye looks like This but it looks like the NY strip is looking like This and This .

To me, the ribeye looks like it's doing pretty well. But the NY strip looks like it lost vacuum. I have no idea where the leak is and I'm pretty sure if I poke a hole, push the air out and tape the hole, it will lose adhesion again.

I ordered more bags and they're supposed to come in tomorrow (10/16/2019). Should I take it out and rebag?

Thanks in advance and I hope y'all can help me sort this out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 month 24 minutes ago #14968 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum
Welcome aboard. I agree the strip has a leakage issue. Have you examined your sealed end? When you say "and I'm pretty sure if I poke a hole, push the air out and tape the hole, it will lose adhesion again." I'm not sure why you think it won't work. This solution has worked for others over the years!
Ron

• redb202
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 20 minutes ago #14969 by redb202
Replied by redb202 on topic Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum
If I have a bad seal on the sealed end, wouldn't it just leak again? I dont think i can reseal the sealed end because there's not much room left.

Does the ribeye look good to you?

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
4 weeks 2 days ago #14970 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum
Yes - the ribeye looks fine. If you don't have enough room to reseal the end then that's that. I was just trying to help you to possibly solve the problem and not have to replace the bag.
Ron

• redb202
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 weeks 2 days ago #14971 by redb202
Replied by redb202 on topic Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum
Yeah, I don't mind replacing the bag if I have to. I rather waste a bag than a whole slab of steak. What do I have to do to re bag the steak? Do I have to wet the meat again so the bag can adhere to the meat? Any tips?

More
4 weeks 2 days ago - 4 weeks 2 days ago #14972 by Dil950
Replied by Dil950 on topic Help! First timer here. Lost Vacuum
You're going to have to judge if it's a hole in the bag or just a bad seal..but if you think it's just the vaccuum sealer didn't do a good job, you can push the air out and just tie off the seal end. (ie. create a new seal) You really only need to keep the bag in contact with the meat until it dries to the point of sticking. Then it kind of doesn't matter if there's a slow leak.

If you think there's a hole in your bag, somewhere other than the seal, sounds like you have to just replace the bag. hope that helps
Last edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by Dil950.

Moderators: RRP
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds