Prague curing powder #1 vs. #2

• funbags
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #15760 by funbags
Prague curing powder #1 vs. #2 was created by funbags
Hi All. I know this question was already kind've asked, but mine is a little different so here goes...

I'm starting my first round of charcuterie w/ Umai Dry and might've already messed up. SOS!

I do a lot of wet curing outside of my Umai use, so when throwing together a curing rub for some Bresaola, I instinctively used Prague powder #1. 2 weeks have gone by as of yesterday, so after I took the Bresaola out of the cure, washed it, and sealed it into the Umai bag, I re-checked my steps and realized all the recipes call for Prague powder #2. Doing a little research, I generally understand why certain recipes call for #1 vs. #2.

Quintessential questions:
- Since some recipes for Bresaola don't even call for curing powder, anyone confident that I can just keep going even though I used #1?
- Since I used an amount of #1 that would have normally been #2, anyone know if there is a different 'curing powder:meat' ratio between the two that could cause me issues?
- I'm only two weeks into a cheaper cut of meat (top round), so not a huge time commitment or investment. Think I should just pitch it?

I'm open to any and all feedback, and am already aware that this is a 'here's your sign' moment.

Cheers!

Nic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #15761 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic Prague curing powder #1 vs. #2
Nic,
You can, of course, follow whatever procedure you prefer. We recommend #2 curing salts because the combination of nitrates and nitrites allow for slow release, protecting against pathogens throughout the entire dry curing process. As you know, #1 salts are recommended for fast cured, cooked meat products.
We cannot diagnose the safety of the product you've cured. Because each of the steps of the entire curing process--salt ratio, slow acting curing salt, target weight loss (reduction in water activity) all individually contribute to protecting the safety of the meat from various pathogens, compromising one "front" can lead to pathogens of a specific variety proliferating. We recommend you look at the meatsandsausages.com site for the distinction between #1 and #2 curing salts, and the potential risks associated.
Hope this helps.

Dry aging geek

• funbags
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #15762 by funbags
Replied by funbags on topic Prague curing powder #1 vs. #2
Thanks a ton for the quick response, BagLady!

Your thoughts combined with the fact that I'm a bit of bacteriophobe make me think I'll just pitch this and give it another go the right way, or at least desalinate it tonight and try to cook it into something. I soaked in some wine before the rub, so the smell is off the charts good!

Cheers!

Nic

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds