• martin1026
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14932 by martin1026
auto defrost fridge-high humidity was created by martin1026
I have a smaller (apartment size freezerless fridge) that I keep in my house (here is the model: www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-Designer-24-in...AR110A1WDD/205471286 )

It is auto defrost, but the fridge remains very humid (typically around 75-80 percent according to my honeywell sensor). It has a small fan and water condenses on the back wall of the fridge and runs down into a small opening at the bottom. Am I asking for trouble if I try to dry age sausage and whole cuts of meat in it? I have a fridge in the garage but assume I can't use it in the winter.

Also, as I'm new, I'm wondering if there are any considerations for storing umai bags prior to use?
thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #14933 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic auto defrost fridge-high humidity
Before some experts come rolling in rather than to leave you hanging that level of moisture/humidity is just asking for trouble. Sorry.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin1026

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 18 hours ago #14934 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic auto defrost fridge-high humidity
Indeed, I agree with Ron. UMAi Dry® is designed to be used in a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment. A refrigerator with a freezer does not have the appropriate compressor set up for dry aging or dry curing. You will have inefficient humidity control, likely mold growth and spoilage if you use the fridge you are describing.

Dry aging geek

• Dmazz63
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 1 day ago #14941 by Dmazz63
Replied by Dmazz63 on topic auto defrost fridge-high humidity
OK, so 75-80% RH is too high. What is a good range? That's something I've been unable to find on the website.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 1 day ago #14942 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic auto defrost fridge-high humidity
Indeed, no recommended humidity conditions are published, as it is not a factor most customers can measure or control reliably.
If you follow the straightforward guidance to use a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment, you will have consistent, safe results.

Dry aging geek

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds