Best Temperature for dry curing with UMAI Bags

• Papalarge
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15410 by Papalarge
Hi All,
Newbie here. I have dry cured a pork loin in cheese cloth and got hooked on cured meat. Right now I have 1 BRESAOLA and 3 Lonzino hanging wrapped in cheese cloth. Today I made 2 Capicola (Gabagool) and 1 Lonzino in the UMAI Dry Curing bags. (I know a lot of meat, friends and family love it) and I have 3 more Capicola curing. So, a friend gave me a refrigerator as you guess my refrigerator is getting pretty full so the second fridge I was going to set up on my back porch (it's enclosed) but no climate control. What would the best temperature for the second fridge be? and do you think i will have any problems in the summer time, summertime temps are usually fro 80s to high 90s with high humidity?
Thank you in advance
Papalarge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15416 by BagLady
Papalarge—
You’re rapidly developing your own cottage industry operation!
As you contemplate that second fridge, best you remember that a fridge is a <65F degree environment is nothing more than a cooler—no air circulation, no humidity management, just a cold box.
Best you watch this refrigerator repair man video:

Dry aging geek

• Papalarge
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15419 by Papalarge
Replied by Papalarge on topic Best Temperature for dry curing with UMAI Bags
Thanks BagLady,
If I turn that second fridge into a curing chamber with temps between 50 and 60 F with 70% to 80% humidity will the UMAI Bags work in it?

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #15421 by BagLady
While we know there re folks doing this (check out Facebook UMAi® Salami, Charcuterie and Dry Aged Steak: www.facebook.com/groups/666563176776694/ ), we have done no testing of UMAi Dry in curing chambers at those temps.
The whole UMAi Dry model been to be able to do this all in your regular home fridge.
Let us know what happens if you give it a try.

Dry aging geek

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds