No Moisture/Weight loss after initial cure.

• Danno8852@yahoo.com
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 weeks 17 hours ago #15796 by Danno8852@yahoo.com
No Moisture/Weight loss after initial cure. was created by Danno8852@yahoo.com
1st timer trying to make 2 lonzinos. Mixed up my cure and rubbed it on the fresh meat very well. Weight of fresh meat 2.5 lbs. I then vacuum sealed the cure covered meat into a vacuum sealed bag. (Maybe this is why I had no moisture loss?) on day 7 I took both the pork loins out (no moisture In bag) and rinsed them and put them in the UMAi bags. Post cure weight was 2.5 lbs for total loss of 0. Could the vacuum bag held in the moisture as it had nowhere to go? Should I just keep in the UMAi bag and let it sit longer ? Should I aim for a higher target weight loss? Should I start over? Thank you for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 weeks 16 hours ago #15797 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic No Moisture/Weight loss after initial cure.
While curing (two weeks current recommendation) in der vacuum in fridge, No weight loss is going to occur. A vacuum bag is both moisture and oxygen impermeable.
You should weigh once you sealed in UMAi Dry and placed in a regularly used modern frost free kitchen refrigerator located in a room temperature environment. Only then will weight loss begin to occur.
Does that help?

Dry aging geek

• Danno8852@yahoo.com
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 weeks 10 hours ago #15798 by Danno8852@yahoo.com
Replied by Danno8852@yahoo.com on topic No Moisture/Weight loss after initial cure.
Ok, I did weigh after I sealed in UMAi Dry, but Instead of the recommended 2 weeks ,
I only cured for 7 days. Do you think It will still be ok? Should I still stick to a 35% target weight loss? Thank you for your response.

• BagLady
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 weeks 6 hours ago #15799 by BagLady
Replied by BagLady on topic No Moisture/Weight loss after initial cure.
Pork loin is relatively easy to cure, so the seven days should not be a big problem, assuming you used the correct proportions of 3% kosher salt and 0.25% Instacure #2 slow acting curing salt to the weight of the meat.
For food safety, you must absolutely wait until you have lost 35 to 40% of the weight in moisture.

Dry aging geek

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds