• RogueAtom87
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 5 days ago #15649 by RogueAtom87
Dextrose question for first timer was created by RogueAtom87
Hey All. I have been doing sausage for a while now but it has all been cooked. Been wanting to try the dray aging kind and was about to purchase whole setup before stumbling across UMAi. I just purchased some 32mm casings with seasoning kits. I have plenty of Cure#2 but I have never used dextrose before and had a few questions.

-How much dextrose is needed per pound meat?
-Is all dextrose powder same? They have tubs on Amazon I was looking at
-I know this is sugar and has a lot of carbs. I eat sausage because I am on Keto diet. Lost 80 lbs this year and have 20 more to go. During the fermentation process does the sugars in dextrose get broken down? If so I would imagine there would be minimal carbs left once process is complete.

Regarding the seasoning sold by UMAi. Does it come with measurements so you can calculate based on QTY meat you are using?

Appreciate the help. Next thing is to buy dedicated mini fridge to sit outside on covered patio so wife doesnt yell at me for using up regular fridge with sausage. Any good mini fridge that wont break bank that will work outside?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RRP
  • Away
  • retired dude
More
1 week 5 days ago #15651 by RRP
Replied by RRP on topic Dextrose question for first timer
Quick and down...

1) the small amount of dextrose is consumed by the starter culture
2) a mini-fridge should never be used for dry aging or dry curing

Ron

• RogueAtom87
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 5 days ago #15652 by RogueAtom87
Replied by RogueAtom87 on topic Dextrose question for first timer
Thanks.

Based on steps indicated on UMAi bags they are used in refrigerator after sitting out for 48-72 hours. If this is case I would imagine any refrigerator would do.

I know I couldnt use a refrigerator for regular dry curing. You would need to convert for precise temp and humidity control but it appears these bags take that work out of it and are designed to work while meat just sits in back of fridge for a while.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds