Traditional Capicola Recipe
This traditional dry cured pork shoulder is made from just the coppa muscle of the whole shoulder.
Dry Cure Ingredients
- Pork coppa muscle 4 1/2 lbs. (2kg)
- Kosher salt (3% of meat weight) 6 tbsp (60g)
- Sugar 2 tbsp (30g)
- InstaCure #2 (0.25% of meat weight)1 tsp (6g)
- Black pepper, coarsely ground 2 tbsp (4g)
- Juniper berries, crushed 1 tbsp (4g)
- Bay leaves, crumbled 2 (2g)
- Freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp (1g)
- Fresh thyme 2 or 3 sprigs (3g)
- Garlic, minced 2 cloves
- Mix Dry Cure Ingredients well and rub onto meat, making sure to cover all nooks and crannies.
- Transfer meat into a Ziplock or Foodsaver bag and place in your refrigerator for two weeks to cure.
- After the curing process, remove meat from bag, and rinse off cure under running water.
- Transfer to UMAi Dry® and place place on an open wire rack to dry in your refrigerator four to eight weeks, or until 35-40% reduction in weight.
- After drying is complete, slice thin and enjoy! For perfect, paper thin slices every time, we highly recommend the Chef's Choice Model 632 Deli Slicer.